Q tron volume

Q tron volume

Postby chirills » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:39 pm

Hi,
Wondering if anyone here could help me with adding a volume pot to an original big box silver Q tron? I've found some hints online for the other versions, but not really anything that helps me. I can solder and drill, but not really good at schematics.
Thanks
chirills
Vince
Vince

Re: Q tron volume

Postby lovetoboogie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:48 am

You can take the hot signal from the output jack and put a 100k pot right there. It would end up being a output level control or "volume" depending on semantics. I believe there is a "direct out" on those first gen Q-Trons so not sure of the matrix between that and the output jack.
"It all rolls into one..."
lovetoboogie
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby chirills » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks for the reply. Would that affect the bypassed volume also? There's 2 jacks, an effect out and a direct out. Im trying to learn all this as Im doing it.
chirills
Vince
Vince

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:26 am

Just curious, what is the purpose of a volume control on the Qtron?
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby chirills » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:Just curious, what is the purpose of a volume control on the Qtron?

There's a nasty volume spike when your amp is loud. Ive been using a vfe mini mu and it has a master volume on it which I enjoy. Trouble is I like the q tron better.
chirills
Vince
Vince

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:52 pm

Just a couple more questions:
What is your signal chain and where do you have the Q?
What are your Q settings?
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby chirills » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:01 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:Just a couple more questions:
What is your signal chain and where do you have the Q?
What are your Q settings?

Wah>envelope >compressor>bunch of stuff. Haven't used the Q since I got the mini mu. Problem with all the envelopes I've been thru is the sensitivity being tied to the output volume. The Q sensitivity is independent of the overall volume, which is good when playing my strat. Problem is tree output volume is too high/hot.
chirills
Vince
Vince

Postby Ebearius » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Just use a volume pedal after the Q-tron. Leave the guitar volume all the way up and adjust volume with the pedal when you use the envelope filter.
Ebearius
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:02 am

The volume pedal or the pot will work, but I don't understand why there is a nasty volume spike. I have not encountered that problem with any EF that could not be alleviated with the EF settings or with a slight adjustment of the guitar volume knob.
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby myoung6923 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:26 pm

I've been using a Q Tron at the beginning of my chain for years and love it. I had another one that has a mix knob modded by Analogman. But, I like the original Q Tron the best. I've noticed differences between 2 identical Q Trons - I think that sometimes that calibrations might be slightly different.

I don't have any problem with volume spikes or clipping at all. I have the whole OBEL system, so the effects are always getting a constant input voltage at 100% of the pickup volume no matter where the guitar's volume is at.

How are you running your guitar into it and what's your guitar's volume set at?
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby chirills » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:37 pm

The obel setup is nice. I don't fuss much with the volume, leave it up most of the time. I don't have room for a volume, the qtron takes up quite a bit of space on its own. The output volume on mine is definitely hotter. Always been like that. I just want to turn it down a little bit. When playing soft its not so noticeable, but when I dig in or hit chords, its just a touch too much. I know that's the nature of the filter, I would just like a little more control over it.
chirills
Vince
Vince

Postby waldo041 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:22 pm

what amp are you using?

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby chirills » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:55 pm

waldo041 wrote:what amp are you using?

~waldo

A cranked hot rod deluxe... sometimes a twin reverb 2. Both are pretty loud. Hence my desire for a volume on the filter.
chirills
Vince
Vince

Postby chirills » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:52 pm

lovetoboogie wrote:You can take the hot signal from the output jack and put a 100k pot right there. It would end up being a output level control or "volume" depending on semantics. I believe there is a "direct out" on those first gen Q-Trons so not sure of the matrix between that and the output jack.

This works, mostly. I researched some more and was able to tie into the effect out and it works like a charm. Only the effect out is tapered, dry is full. Thanks.
chirills
Vince
Vince

Return to Guitar Building and Mods