OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Re: OBEL help....tone not working.

Postby tnt1234 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:19 pm

sounds good - I'll do it. Thanks for all the help.
tnt1234
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:00 am

Re: OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Postby tnt1234 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:02 pm

GOnna swap out the volume pup when it comes, both otherwise done...

I drilled a star button hole on the lower bout by mistake...other then that, I'm happy with it...

THANKS for all the help!
Image

Image

Image

Image
tnt1234
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:00 am

Re: OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Postby flyingheelhook » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:49 am

Very nice
User avatar
flyingheelhook
Bobby
Bobby
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:09 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Postby MikeInMarin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Not to hijack this thread, but do I need a 25K tone cap if I am not using OBEL ? I just ordered the 0.02uF capacitors and the only current problem I have with my wiring (basically Tiger, with no OBEL), but same PuPs is that I am having an issue getting treble high enough in the middle PuP. Seems fine for the Bridge Pup, but maybe that is only because of it's position. Thanks.
User avatar
MikeInMarin
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 7:56 pm
Location: Larkspur, CA

Re: OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:36 pm

MikeInMarin wrote:Not to hijack this thread, but do I need a 25K tone cap if I am not using OBEL ? I just ordered the 0.02uF capacitors and the only current problem I have with my wiring (basically Tiger, with no OBEL), but same PuPs is that I am having an issue getting treble high enough in the middle PuP. Seems fine for the Bridge Pup, but maybe that is only because of it's position. Thanks.


If you mean a 25K volume pot, the answer is no. You only need the 25K volume pot with the OBEL. The .02uf caps will make a difference. The tone pots should be 500K.

The links below are very helpful, thanks to Waldo.

http://www.wald-electronics.com/images/bufferlayout.jpg

http://www.wald-electronics.com/images/ ... plate2.JPG
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Postby MikeInMarin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:52 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:
MikeInMarin wrote:Not to hijack this thread, but do I need a 25K tone cap if I am not using OBEL ? I just ordered the 0.02uF capacitors and the only current problem I have with my wiring (basically Tiger, with no OBEL), but same PuPs is that I am having an issue getting treble high enough in the middle PuP. Seems fine for the Bridge Pup, but maybe that is only because of it's position. Thanks.


If you mean a 25K volume pot, the answer is no. You only need the 25K volume pot with the OBEL. The .02uf caps will make a difference. The tone pots should be 500K.

The links below are very helpful, thanks to Waldo.

http://www.wald-electronics.com/images/bufferlayout.jpg

http://www.wald-electronics.com/images/ ... plate2.JPG



Jim/Hippieguy-

Thank you very much for answering. I am using one of Waldo's buffer's and I did just by the tone .02uf caps and installed them. And yes, I meant Volume pot, not cap.

Regards,

Mike
User avatar
MikeInMarin
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 7:56 pm
Location: Larkspur, CA

Re: OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:11 pm

Actually the 25k volume pot is needed when using a buffer/preamp before it. The OBEL is a separate circuit and the 25k pot is not needed to use it. The 25k pot is only used to keep the output low impedance when used before the volume control, so if you put the buffer/preamp after the volume control (ala traditional StratoBlaster wiring) then you will not need it.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
User avatar
waldo041
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3375
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:58 am

Re: OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Postby MikeInMarin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:19 pm

waldo041 wrote:Actually the 25k volume pot is needed when using a buffer/preamp before it. The OBEL is a separate circuit and the 25k pot is not needed to use it. The 25k pot is only used to keep the output low impedance when used before the volume control, so if you put the buffer/preamp after the volume control (ala traditional StratoBlaster wiring) then you will not need it.

~waldo


Waldo - So, as long as I have the TCP1(sm) wired as Choice B "Strat Style Wiring" off of your diagram below, I am fine w/o a 25k Vol Pot (I only have 1 master volume) ?

http://www.wald-electronics.com/images/bufferlayout.jpg

Thanks,

Mike
User avatar
MikeInMarin
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 7:56 pm
Location: Larkspur, CA

Re: OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Postby Searing75 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:05 pm

Your fine without the 25k pot if you wire it according to the "strat style" diagram. The pre amp is after the volume pot.
All's well that sounds well.
User avatar
Searing75
Senior Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:09 am
Location: Western NY

Re: OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:32 pm

waldo041 wrote:Actually the 25k volume pot is needed when using a buffer/preamp before it. The OBEL is a separate circuit and the 25k pot is not needed to use it. The 25k pot is only used to keep the output low impedance when used before the volume control, so if you put the buffer/preamp after the volume control (ala traditional StratoBlaster wiring) then you will not need it.

~waldo


Thanks, Waldo. I should have been clearer. I meant that you only need the 25K volume pot when using the OBEL because that puts the preamp/buffer before the volume pot.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:38 pm

MikeInMarin wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:
MikeInMarin wrote:Not to hijack this thread, but do I need a 25K tone cap if I am not using OBEL ? I just ordered the 0.02uF capacitors and the only current problem I have with my wiring (basically Tiger, with no OBEL), but same PuPs is that I am having an issue getting treble high enough in the middle PuP. Seems fine for the Bridge Pup, but maybe that is only because of it's position. Thanks.


If you mean a 25K volume pot, the answer is no. You only need the 25K volume pot with the OBEL. The .02uf caps will make a difference. The tone pots should be 500K.

The links below are very helpful, thanks to Waldo.

http://www.wald-electronics.com/images/bufferlayout.jpg

http://www.wald-electronics.com/images/ ... plate2.JPG





Jim/Hippieguy-

Thank you very much for answering. I am using one of Waldo's buffer's and I did just by the tone .02uf caps and installed them. And yes, I meant Volume pot, not cap.

Regards,

Mike


You are welcome, MikeinMarin! Sorry I wasn't clearer about the 25K volume pot. Good thing Waldo is here to clarify things :cool:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:58 pm

Searing75 wrote:Your fine without the 25k pot if you wire it according to the "strat style" diagram. The pre amp is after the volume pot.


In Waldo's diagram,the pre/buffer is before the volume pot in the "strat style" wiring diagram and does require the 25K volume pot. Have another look.

http://www.wald-electronics.com/images/ ... plate2.JPG

Like Waldo said and I should have been clearer about is that the only time you do not need the 25K volume pot is when the preamp/buffer is after the volume pot. Sorry for the confusion.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: OBEL help...DONE WITH PICS

Postby Searing75 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:48 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:
Searing75 wrote:Your fine without the 25k pot if you wire it according to the "strat style" diagram. The pre amp is after the volume pot.


In Waldo's diagram,the pre/buffer is before the volume pot in the "strat style" wiring diagram and does require the 25K volume pot. Have another look.

http://www.wald-electronics.com/images/ ... plate2.JPG

Like Waldo said and I should have been clearer about is that the only time you do not need the 25K volume pot is when the preamp/buffer is after the volume pot. Sorry for the confusion.


I didn't look at the diagram. Mi just assumed it was representing wiring the pre after the volume. Oops. At least the op knows they are fine with the volume pot he or she has.
All's well that sounds well.
User avatar
Searing75
Senior Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:09 am
Location: Western NY

Previous

Return to Guitar Building and Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests