completing my HT-style 3x12 - PART ONE: SPEAKER CLAMPS

completing my HT-style 3x12 - PART ONE: SPEAKER CLAMPS

Postby BisforBoogie » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi everyone...

...long-time lurker, first-time poster...

:-)

A while back, a very good (non-musician, non-head) friend of mine found himself spending a season at his sister's place -- and thus a lot of time at his brother-in-law's stocked woodworking playground -- and presented me with the culmination of his playtime, a Jerry style 3x12. He'd heard me fantasizing about such a thing and he needed something to justify playing with the fun tools and in the end he pretty much aced it -- 13-ply baltic birch, fancy dark trim on the front, rare-earth magnets on the corner blocks, etc -- all the more amazing because he did it based solely on the common photos of Jerry's and the several images at the HT website.

As amazing as it is, it is still only 98% complete and my friend is adventuring elsewhere for the foreseeable future. I'm of above average intelligence and moderately handy -- but only in the most general of ways (i.e I can operate tools, I can solder, etc, but I have no real experience with building nice furniture, much less fine guitar cabinets)...so, if at all possible, I'm really going to need some advice from you all so that I don't ruin it in the home stretch...y'know, because y'all are the single best collected resource for Dead-based equipment bad-assery in the whole, entire webiverse!

What remains to be done...

a) install the speaker clamps <--------where I am now
b) install speaker jack(s)/wiring
c) install speakers
d) (maybe) install handle(s)
e) (maybe) install fancy grill cloth

But, for now, I'm just working up to "a" ...

My buddy sourced the correct number of these clamps and fasteners:

I have a suspicion that he figured I'd be throwing 3 JBL E120s in there, but that's not happening. I'm quite a bit less interested in 200w ceramic paint peelers than I was as a younger man and my speaker choices will be, on the whole, more mundane.

Will these clamps be suitable for more common, garden variety, non-JBL 12-inchers? For reference, I have (2) Jensen Tornado 12s that are likely be the first inhabitants (and I'll possibly just pick up a third one).

BUT most importantly, does anyone have any procedural advice, tips, tricks, cautionary tales, do's and/or don'ts before I begin drilling holes for these clamps? How did you do it...or how would you? It would be great if I didn't have to learn any destructive lessons by screwing up this nice virgin baffle... *grin*

I look forward to whatever advice springs to your mind regarding the process of installing mounts/mounting speakers...
BisforBoogie
welcome
welcome

Re: completing my HT-style 3x12 - PART ONE: SPEAKER CLAMPS

Postby rugger » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:02 am

I've only done this once so I'm definitely NOT the definitive source on this topic. I don't know how active Tracy at SSP is on the forum these days, but he definitely would be your definitive source. On the other hand, as you alluded to, it's not all that difficult. The biggest mistakes us DIY's make is to think we're going to knock it out fast and rush the job. Don't! Take your time! Measure twice, cut once. Yeah, it's trite but it couldn't be more true.

To start, I'd put the cab on it's back facing up and drop the speakers in making sure they fit. I'd then place the speaker clamps on to see if the edge is large enough to work with the clamps. If you're good to go you just have to figure out the placement. I used the ol' eyechrometer but you may want to be more precise. Every 45 degrees? Or maybe some measurement off the center of the circle? I don't know, whatever works for you. The "dumb" thing that I did when eyeballing my placement was to not double check and put a straight edge across the hole. Consequently my clamps are a little off, but hey, I was rushing--serves me right.

Lastly, I think I did the drilling with the speaker and clamps in place to help ensure they were positioned correctly. I'm sure you can imagine all the potential problems with this method though. Needless to say, take extra precaution in protecting your speakers!

I don't think I have any more for you. Like I said, I'm sure others will have more sage advice, but I thought I'd help you get started. Good luck and enjoy the process!

john in san diego
rugger
Bear
Bear

Postby waldo041 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:52 pm

The Hard Trucker speaker clamps are designed for a JBL speaker. If you want the look and something that will work with a smaller lip try ordering a set from Bag End.

http://bagend.com/

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:11 pm

waldo041 wrote:The Hard Trucker speaker clamps are designed for a JBL speaker.
~waldo

And that's the one you really should get if you're after a Jetty sound.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:25 am

TI4-1009 wrote:
~waldo

I see what you did there!

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby kurt eye » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:15 pm

beautiful job on the cabinet.
Shall we go, you and I while we can? Through the transitive night fall of diamonds...
kurt eye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:14 pm

waldo041 wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote:
~waldo

I see what you did there!

~waldo

Thank you vetty much.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby zambiland » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:03 pm

waldo041 wrote:The Hard Trucker speaker clamps are designed for a JBL speaker. If you want the look and something that will work with a smaller lip try ordering a set from Bag End.

http://bagend.com/

~waldo

Is that a bass cabinet? If you ever want to let it go.... :-)
zambiland

Return to Cabinets