Jerry's Finger Picking

Re: Jerry's Finger Picking

Postby Lunchbox16 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:48 pm

mgbills wrote:When I first started playing I worked this book every day. Never finished it, but that routine helped my right hand.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/120-studies-for-right-hand-development-mauro-giuliani/1122979408/2694170198773?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopping+greatbookprices_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP24060&k_clickid=3x24060&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi7XQBRDnARIsANeLIetc6Q9V-WgAdFHb_0tfnQVpVMoGBJPJKWhN6MuIxkLETwQJ5O6JgQgaAtx_EALw_wcB

I still feel sloppy with the fingers & with hybrid (pick & grab) picking. Every year I spend a couple months trying to clean it up. But since I've stayed with it, I find when I'm learning a new tune I typically start with my fingers only. Not sure when that happened. If I was a great fingerstyle player it would make more sense, but really I'm a hack. I was really into fingerstyle & chord tone songs/melodies for a couple years as well.

If your new to the fingers try the Giuliani book. It'll wake those buggers up & help you get started. It's not Jerry specific but it'll sure help when you drop your pick.

I’ve been working on right hand flat picking lately (mainly a bass player who doesn’t use a pick) but I saw this post about this book and decided to pick it up because I need to work on fingerpicking too. I’ve found some of these patterns are good for developing right hand flat picking accuracy too. So kudos for the heads up.
"Is maith an scéalaí an aimsir." Time is a great storyteller. -- Irish Proverb
Lunchbox16
Pigpen
Pigpen

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone