Ideas for Rack/Gig for SMS/Furman Pwr Cond/McIntosh MC50

Ideas for Rack/Gig for SMS/Furman Pwr Cond/McIntosh MC50

Postby MikeInMarin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:38 pm

So, I am finally getting out more to play Jerry stuff, and I really dislike throwing my Sarno SMS CTP, Furman Power Conditioner and McIntosh MC50 into a duffel bag. It's a recipe for disaster, obviously.

I thought perhaps a soft gig case would be the best fit, as I doubt I will be going on tour or traveling further than a short drive, anytime soon. In addition, I don't imagine adding another unit to my rack/case, tho there is a chance I would get something like a second pre-amp, or some effect rack, etc, down the road. I really would like something more substantial to keep these 3 components in, while in my studio garage, as they are just sitting on top of other speaker cabs. Plus, this will make it much easier to close-up and carry to my truck.

Once I measured the MC50 though, I realized its height is slightly more than 3 rack spaces, so I need a 6U rack (4 for the MC50, 2 for the SMS and Furman). Well, the soft ones only go up to 4, based on my first review of what they offer at Sweetwater.com. No biggie, as for only a little more money, it looks like I can get a pretty decent 6U hard case unit (with or w/o wheels and extension handle like a wheeled suitcase if I decide to spend a bit more for that).

How have the rest of you slayed this small dragon ? I do not want to get another power amp, though at some point, I may do that. So let's assume keeping the MC50.

Should I just get the 6U hard case (Gator or SKB or similar) and a table to keep it on in the studio ? And a shelf with holes to secure the feet/bottom of the MC50 on the bottom slot.

I noticed that the cases (other than one shallow one that is too shallow to allow for plugs I think) are very deep, so this box will be 10 inches deeper or so than I need it to be. This makes the decision a little harder for me, but maybe I can find a way to use the shallower one.

Any other options that you guys can recommend ?
MikeInMarin
Keith
Keith

Re: Ideas for Rack/Gig for SMS/Furman Pwr Cond/McIntosh MC50

Postby TeeJay » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:59 am

I put the exact rig in the case below. Drilled 4 holes in a 3 space shallow rack shelf and new rubber feet/screws on the mac.

https://www.roadcasesusa.com/6-space-6u ... -closeout/
TeeJay
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby MikeInMarin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:20 am

TeeJay wrote:I put the exact rig in the case below. Drilled 4 holes in a 3 space shallow rack shelf and new rubber feet/screws on the mac.

https://www.roadcasesusa.com/6-space-6u ... -closeout/

TeeJay-

Thanks for the recommendation. That is very helpful. The price is right, too.

Mike
MikeInMarin
Keith
Keith

Postby GratefulMets » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:48 am

I have my MC50 (3), FYD (2), and Furman (1) all mounted in this 6-space rack from these guys:

http://www.audiopile.net/R6UE-12#tab-1.

Love their products. GREAT build quality at great price. MC50 is mounted to a slotted rack shelf in the bottom position.

Peace.
GratefulMets
tiger
tiger

Postby TeeJay » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:45 am

I have my MC50 (3), FYD (2), and Furman (1) all mounted in this 6-space rack from these guys:

Love their products. GREAT build quality at great price. MC50 is mounted to a slotted rack shelf in the bottom position.

Those do look really good for just a little bit more. And they are west coast-
TeeJay
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby MikeInMarin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:11 pm

GratefulMets wrote:I have my MC50 (3), FYD (2), and Furman (1) all mounted in this 6-space rack from these guys:

Peace.

Grateful Mets-

Those look ideal. And a pretty good price still. Thanks for the heads up on that one !

Mike
MikeInMarin
Keith
Keith

Postby MikeInMarin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:44 pm

TeeJay wrote:

Those do look really good for just a little bit more. And they are west coast-

I just ordered this, along with a 3U rack shelf, which I plan to drill holes in to attach the MC50. Probably could have found a shelf somewhere else with enough holes to avoid drilling, but the price was right and I wanted to keep things simple. Only downside is this place charges for shipping and the place on LI was free. But it was reasonable. $21 or so for both items coming FedEx ground. Thanks everyone for their ideas and help !
MikeInMarin
Keith
Keith

Postby MattMan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:43 pm

I did something slightly different to rack my MC2100 and my MosValve. I took off the bottom of the MC2100 to drill holes for mounting from underneath after putting the bottom back on. Safe and easy to move.

MattMan
Rosemary
Rosemary

Return to Jerry Tone