The best new rack mount power amp to compliment SMS classic

The best new rack mount power amp to compliment SMS classic

Postby toddgardn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:55 pm

I'm interested in opinions on the best higher end rack mount power amp to pair with a SMS classic preamp. My current main rig is a SMS preamp >McIntosh mc50 > Jbl k120, and that rig of course sounds great, but I'm also interested in a rack mount brand new very dependable medium power amp (no more power than 75 watts SS or 50 watts tube) as well. I've used a mosvalve Mc-962, Carvin dcm200l, and rocktron velocity, and they all sound good in their own unique ways. I am now interested in what I may be missing on the higher end of the price/quality spectrum. I'm not necessarily limiting this to solid state amps. I'd like to buy it brand new (very interested in dependability for this one). Currently Fryette is looking interesting. Anything else come to mind?
toddgardn
tiger
tiger

Re: The best new rack mount power amp to compliment SMS clas

Postby MattMan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:37 am

Stick with the TubeWorks MV-962 which, IMO, keeps the tone in that solid state McIntosh vibe. Plus, its a work-horse power amp with good road-worthy durability.
MattMan
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:56 am

MattMan wrote:Stick with the TubeWorks MV-962 which, IMO, keeps the tone in that solid state McIntosh vibe. Plus, its a work-horse power amp with good road-worthy durability.

What Matt said
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:18 pm

MattMan wrote:Stick with the TubeWorks MV-962 which, IMO, keeps the tone in that solid state McIntosh vibe. Plus, its a work-horse power amp with good road-worthy durability.

+3
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:59 pm

strumminsix wrote:

+3

+4 and pretty darn affordable. I have one I keep as a backup for my Mac. I don't think it's as good as a Mac but it's in the ballpark. I think I paid $135 for mine.
tcsned

Return to Jerry Tone