Other than the Dead, what are some of your other fav bands?

Re: Other than the Dead, what are some of your other fav ban

Postby oceanbear11 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:12 pm

I have an accidental habit of liking musicians with weird voices (but good). Bob Dylan, Pavlov's Dog. . .and I love Neil Young, especially with Crazy Horse. In fact, I was named after Neil Young; in some circles I'm even known as Young Neil.
Other than them, I am a big fan of Rory Gallagher. I also enjoy the Allman Brothers, Mott the Hoople, and Steppenwolf. I like the Byrds, Tom Petty, and the Stones as well. Also worth mentioning is a father-and-son group from Milwaukee called the Spanic Boys.
Dude, this music rocks!
oceanbear11
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby August WR West77 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:21 am

There are many great bands that have come and gone and rearranged the cohesive melding sound they are used to when a member has passed. Most bands never recover others do well. I have come to listen and know bout musicians I never would have known about if not for the way the Dead covered original artists. Its because of Jerry especially and Bobby as well. And most definitely "pigpen". I have come to like bluegrass and great musical conduits that produced Divine songs and play unlike anyone. Unique musicians, one of a kind. Like...Bob Dylan, Bonnie Dobson, Chuck Berry James Brown John Lee Hooker, muddy waters B.B. King, Paul Butterfield band, Beatles, Who, CCR, (I have a show with Folgerty playing with the Dead. Very hip sound. Above all The Grateful Dead are unique, encouraged taping their shows, the best at improvisational flow of musical sound waves which literally could build on the energy of the band as well as the energy of the venue, and most of all the energy that every Dead Head was putting out. I have seen shows with Jerry (not many but all were beyond explanation). I saw Jerry do the best version of Days Between as well as Deal and ChinaRider all at my very first show. Of all the great bands from across the pond. NO OTHER BAND SAYS 100% AMERICAN LIKE YE' OLE GRATEFUL DEAD
August WR West77
welcome
welcome

Postby jhart » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Pat Methany Group

Met him after the show in Oakland and asked him "what was the most irritating thing a fan has said to him" He said " telling me you clean your house to my music and use it for background music"

The bass player and drummer and pianist of this band do such intriquite music and much like the Dead, take you on such a journey into your soul. I've gotten choked up on occasston - allowing the message to rise up from the music, with the layers of song inter-weaving. The band is always so committed to plowing thru the advanced musical combinations as they start with the hook and after 15 minutes of cosmic jazz bliss you've experienced the best jazz on the planet.

First post here - glad I found you guys.

Jerry Hart
jhart
welcome
welcome

Postby bcresci » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:12 am

Not in the category of rock n roll, but I have always loved Paco de Lucia's playing. That he can play so articulately at those speeds, and still have a great sense of melody and soul just amazes me.
bcresci
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby alcorelectric » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:38 pm

john prine
steve goodman
Lynryd skynyrd
Bob marley Reggae in general)
temptations
Willie dixon
Old fleetwood mac (peter green)