Rex McGee - Banjo Master's video series

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Rex McGee - Banjo Master's video series

Postby tcsned » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:15 am

Hey RUKINDers!!
I have an awesome day job (that I do believe I will keep . . . pardon the pun :D ), the funnest part is working with my university's library archive on the Banjo Masters video series (at Radford University in Radford, Virginia). Our archivist, Bud Bennet is an old friend and musician that I play bluegrass music with during lunch when we can squeeze it in and for an Appalachian Studies class every semester. We go out and shoot a video interview/music segment with regional banjo players who have made a significant impact on the music world and approach to the instrument. It started with Butch Robbins who is a Radford local and played with Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys in the 70s and early 80s. Next we did Sammy Shelor from the Lonesome River Band, next was Jens Kruger a Swiss born banjo genius from the Kruger Brothers, next was classical banjoist, John Bullard. This one is Rex McGee from North Carolina. Rex uses a straight 4ths tuning instead of the open G standard 5 string banjo tuning. He has this band that he plays with occasionally called Kripple Krunk that does some really cool stuff too. Check it out:

https://vimeo.com/channels/1078567/191690443

Kripple Krunk:
tcsned

Re: Rex McGee - Banjo Master's video series

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:02 am

Nice! Thanks! :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Return to Everything Else