Enough with the Slow Tempo

Re: Enough with the Slow Tempo

Postby miket573 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:50 am

I went to SLC, and the Boulder Shows. Watched several on the couch(Oh my thank you for couch tour)
Including both Wrigley Shows. One can just hope that this group does a few more tours.

They really are killing it. Oteil is just at the forefront of what he could be with respect to vocals with this combo.
Next up, I would love to see him take a stab at It must have been the Roses.
miket573
Vince
Vince

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:03 pm

I saw the citi field show in nyc, had a good time. there were some stellar moments for sure. interesting mix of energy from the older three and the younger lads.
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"

http://www.reverbnation.com/houndsandrabbits
CountryMile Cadillac

Postby brbadg » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:41 pm

waldo041 wrote:I went last night at Wrigley and had a great time. Oteil is starting to sing and that should really help Bobby out. This band is really really good if you can turn off your Jerry ears and give this band a chance. JM did an amazing job, and so did Oteil, bringing an awesome vibe to this music. I loved Oteils energy and John is a prodigy on guitar. The only thing i could possibly say negative of this band is the attempt to extend jams when the time has come to move on, but they did it, imo, only a few times. Not a damn thing wrong with Dead & Company. If you don't get it, please move on, they are not the Grateful Dead, but are the next best thing to them on earth right now. Imho of course. 8)

I am sure they are gonna have some off nights but i would tour with these guys to see the great nights!

~waldo

<Sigh> I can't knock a guy for expressing his opinion.I have to say,I can't turn my Jerry ears off,and I damn sure can't turn my Phil ears off!
I just have a problem with the dynamics of the sound,and Mayer's playing is tiresome.
There are a couple of moments that I've saved to my best of DeadCo folder,but there's not that many.
DeadCo is a product of the times I dare say,and much different than The Grateful Dead.
I look forward to what Bob has in store , but looks like DeadCo will be good for one more tour at least.
I would love to see Bob do some more gigs with Phil,Graham,Ross James and Alex ,that was a tight little band!
Go ahead enjoy,I'll stick with my Phil and Friends and Mayer-less Bob side projects!
brbadg
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby tcsned » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:53 pm

playingdead wrote:Listen to this for a taste of the good ol' days.

http://leftyguitarsonly.com/vic/fasteyes.mp3

Bonus points for guessing the show : )

It sounded like the one they played in Maine in 1986. Them boys may have been dipping into the peruvian marching powder
tcsned

Postby hieronymous7 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:46 pm

After being at both Shoreline shows this year (and the one last year), I've watched some of the webcasts - both free shows, plus some of the set openers. I've been enjoying it.

Night one of 2017 Shoreline I thought was great - John Mayer was on fire for the first few songs and then a fun night. Almost ten years ago I heard some amazing guitar playing in a store in Tokyo - didn't know who it was, thought it might be Stevie Ray Vaughan - turned out to be John Mayer! I was pretty blown away, nice to be able to experience his playing in a "blind taste test" so that I could appreciate it without the extraneous noise of his celebrity, his own songs, etc. His singing has some SRV in it too - I like when he sings Black Muddy Water.

Night two of Shoreline was really hard for me to get into - definitely an off night - I finally got my CDs and was able to confirm my opinion of the show - first set had some moments but after the first few songs it never seemed to really take off. Second set was much better, but I wasn't able to enjoy because of the very normal family sitting in front of us - mom dad and two teenage kids were definitely tourists and must have been wondering "what have we gotten into?" Mom kept looking around at the people - she'd turn around and be looking past me but it was really weird to have her staring in my direction - tried to ignore her but definitely affected my enjoyment. Listening on the CD set two is not bad at all.

Oh wait, this was supposed to be about tempo - yes, it can be annoying - maybe it helps appreciate when they actually let go and start attacking the music?! This project is definitely not perfect. It's interesting and enjoyable enough for me. I think that when it does work, they go to some nice, interesting places. I think it's great how much they jam, often in the first set too. To me, they're doing that Dead thing - it's not under anyone's control, they're just playing. Sure, maybe some of the jams could end sooner, but it's the Dead! You have to let it happen, if you try and second guess then the magic isn't going to happen*. I think they're doing it - obviously not with Jerry the master at the helm, but they're following in the footsteps of the approach.

*Like at the second Santa Clara Fare Thee Well show when Bobby tried to cut off Trey's solo but Trey wasn't paying attention and went on to take them to one of the only peaks of the night! Actually, I think Phish are more about pushing and pushing until it peaks, then again and again and again throughout the night...
hieronymous7
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby hieronymous7 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:50 pm

tcsned wrote:
playingdead wrote:Listen to this for a taste of the good ol' days.

http://leftyguitarsonly.com/vic/fasteyes.mp3

Bonus points for guessing the show : )

It sounded like the one they played in Maine in 1986. Them boys may have been dipping into the peruvian marching powder

And now that I think about it, watching the PBS interview with Bill Kreutzmann before the last Fare Thee Well shows, he talks about how cocaine was a horrible drug and a horrible influence on the band - maybe the slow tempos are a reaction to the memories of cocaine-infused tempos of old?
hieronymous7
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby gdeloian » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:50 am

To my ears and eyes, Dead and Co is unlistenable/unwatchable. Cringe worthy in nearly every regard, especially musically. I cannot for the life of me figure out what people like about this band. They're excruciating. Just excruciating.
gdeloian
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby lightningbolt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:07 pm

gdeloian wrote:To my ears and eyes, Dead and Co is unlistenable/unwatchable. Cringe worthy in nearly every regard, especially musically. I cannot for the life of me figure out what people like about this band. They're excruciating. Just excruciating.

As a fan for the past 40 years it is really difficult for me to fathom how anyone could call the band "unlistenable", "cringe worthy" and "excruciating".

They are not the GD and like all bands that perform without a net...they rise and fall depending on the day...but the above adjectives...I don't get. For the most part I find 1995 GD shows difficult to listen to but even with Jerry's shitty tone, mailed-in performances and clams galore I don't find them "unlistenable", "cringe worthy" and "excruciating".

Isn't that a bit over the top?

As far as this thread is concerned, there is no doubt that the tempos are faster on this fall tour then on previous tours. They are playing more as a band and John is being more John then trying to be Jerry IMO. All positives as far as I am concerned.

Bob Weir is like a national treasure and I am just happy in 2017 to be able to be in the same room with him, listening to him do his thing.
lightningbolt
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby brbadg » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:18 pm

As a fan for the past 40 years it is really difficult for me to fathom how anyone could call the band "unlistenable", "cringe worthy" and "excruciating"

I agree.I am not a fan of this band,but those adjectives don't really apply to this band.
If you think they do,then you just don't have a very good ear for music.
brbadg
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby gdeloian » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:12 pm

You guys are right.

I completely exaggerate sometimes. I didn't phrase this well at all and probably shouldn't haven't have made a negative comment to begin with. Really, my apologies to all.

They just aren't my thing, but I am happy they are keeping the vibe alive.

I shouldn't have posted what I did.

-Garrett.
gdeloian
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby MattMan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 am

...and Garrett does have a great ear! ...
MattMan
Phil
Phil

Postby hieronymous7 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:39 am

Music appreciation can be very subjective. So many things affect how we perceive and react. I'm a bassist and Oteil playing bass for Dead & Co. definitely made me favorable to the band. I even learned to love John Mayer's voice! It helped that I was pretty unaware of his music beforehand and chose to ignore his media image - which he seems to have shed - now he appears to be a truly grateful human being - no pun intended.
hieronymous7
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Jon S. » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:54 am

waldo041 wrote:I went last night at Wrigley and had a great time. Oteil is starting to sing and that should really help Bobby out. This band is really really good if you can turn off your Jerry ears and give this band a chance. JM did an amazing job, and so did Oteil, bringing an awesome vibe to this music. I loved Oteils energy and John is a prodigy on guitar. The only thing i could possibly say negative of this band is the attempt to extend jams when the time has come to move on, but they did it, imo, only a few times. Not a damn thing wrong with Dead & Company. If you don't get it, please move on, they are not the Grateful Dead, but are the next best thing to them on earth right now. Imho of course. 8)

I am sure they are gonna have some off nights but i would tour with these guys to see the great nights!

~waldo

I can't +1 this post enough. Personally, I very much enjoy Dead and Company. But even if you don't, love the one you're with.
/ `--'(
< [] []////////|::: )
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby urbanvets » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:47 am

They have come along way and are gelling this fall. The tempo has increased and I feel JRAD has had some impact on that. Most if not all have played with JRAD, and the energy coming off that band is infectious.
urbanvets
rukind?
rukind?

Postby tcsned » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 am

I was at the Charlotte, NC show on Tuesday. It was a little ballad heavy but damn, they are playing really well together. They did a really cool jam into Hell in a Bucket to open the show. Mayer's guitar playing has been great. He needs to work on I Need a Miracle a little but was really killing it for the most part.
:cool: :cool: :cool:
tcsned

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion