Enough with the Slow Tempo

Enough with the Slow Tempo

Postby chipperj » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:04 pm

This has probably been covered before- although I can't find any reference; Is anyone as impatient as I am with Every. Single. Song. being played at half speed on the current Dead & Co. tour? I'm really curious to know the thinking behind it. It's not like it's subtle. Why does it drive me so crazy, yet everyone I talk to seems to think it's epically great? Must be me....
chipperj
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: Enough with the Slow Tempo

Postby strumminsix » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:01 pm

chipperj wrote:This has probably been covered before- although I can't find any reference; Is anyone as impatient as I am with Every. Single. Song. being played at half speed on the current Dead & Co. tour? I'm really curious to know the thinking behind it. It's not like it's subtle. Why does it drive me so crazy, yet everyone I talk to seems to think it's epically great? Must be me....

It's been slowing down ever every year for the past 10 or so..... I can't get into it. Even worse. Every tempo for every song is about the same :roll:
strumminsix

Postby TeeJay » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Its not just you. A buddy caught the Bowl and Mountain View shows and said the same thing.
TeeJay
Billy
Billy

Postby nopunin10dead » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:19 pm

My theory, not to sound discriminatory, is age. Slower reflexes, slower synapses, a little less energy and stamina. I've completed 5 r4 decades and I'm noticing it when I play, sometimes. Heard the slowest "Cassidy" by quite a stretch last week. Last year, "Shakedown" was a dirge.
nopunin10dead
bruce
bruce

Postby Smolder » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:29 pm

I dig the groove i gives Ratdog... for Dead & company I'd prefer the faster tempo. Anxious to here the tempo of the Campfire Band.
Smolder

Postby hieronymous7 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:14 pm

I think this year is better than last year. Still slow but they're letting the energy take them where it will a little bit more - though they slowed something back down yesterday on the free stream from Atlanta...
hieronymous7
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby aiq » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:27 am

This is not the band I seek.

Heard Campfire band here not long ago, went for Kimock but was pleasantly surprised by Bob. Strong solo stuff from Weir and some great dreamy jams in second set.

DeadMart? meh...
aiq

Postby brbadg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:38 am

Yes,the Campfire band is one worth developing.I've heard a couple DeadCo tunes I liked.I cant listen to a whole show.
Time to put this one to bed,but it seems like they are picking up steam.
brbadg
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Seriesnuns » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:20 am

I caught the Fenway Sat show. It was a good time but some songs are slow. Especially when Bobby is singing. I think it has to do with not being able to sing at as a moderate fast pace so they slow them down so he can get through the vocals. Some songs are manageable but songs like Passenger shouldn't be done slowed down.
Ain't no preacher, just happy to meet ya
Seriesnuns
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby brbadg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:11 am

I blame the drummers.
brbadg
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby playingdead » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:16 am

Listen to this for a taste of the good ol' days.

http://leftyguitarsonly.com/vic/fasteyes.mp3

Bonus points for guessing the show : )
playingdead

Postby mrMix » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:53 am

I was at Fenway for the 6/17 show. Eyes was torture....

Go see JRAD for an electric good time!
mrMix
Sitting plush with royal flush. Aces back to back...
mrMix
Brent
Brent

Postby Smolder » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 pm

aiq wrote:Heard Campfire band here not long ago, went for Kimock but was pleasantly surprised by Bob. Strong solo stuff from Weir and some great dreamy jams in second set.

Snagged tickets for RedRocks in August. Looks like it'll be a fun show.
Smolder

Postby miket573 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:27 am

Over the last few years many discussions about the tempo however I have heard from several folks that the reason is to help Bobby with singing.
It appears that it may be working. My personal opinion is I think he has been killing it vocally especially the last two Summers with Dead and Co.
Well with the exception of some of the falsetto attempts :-) :-) :-)

The slow tempo does not bother me too much however some tunes like Row Jimmy were slow to begin with. The Row Jimmy in SLC was way slow the version at Blossem was slow but much tighter.
Only one Heads opinion here . What a tour.
miket573
Vince
Vince

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:45 am

I went last night at Wrigley and had a great time. Oteil is starting to sing and that should really help Bobby out. This band is really really good if you can turn off your Jerry ears and give this band a chance. JM did an amazing job, and so did Oteil, bringing an awesome vibe to this music. I loved Oteils energy and John is a prodigy on guitar. The only thing i could possibly say negative of this band is the attempt to extend jams when the time has come to move on, but they did it, imo, only a few times. Not a damn thing wrong with Dead & Company. If you don't get it, please move on, they are not the Grateful Dead, but are the next best thing to them on earth right now. Imho of course. 8)

I am sure they are gonna have some off nights but i would tour with these guys to see the great nights!

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Next

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion