Postby Jon S. » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:59 pm

That guitar is amazing!
/ `--'(
< [] []////////|::: )
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Re: Doug Irwin Guitars

Postby Searing75 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Doesn't appeal to me at all. Love the inlay on the back though!

Good luck man!
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby Thomas Lieber » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:51 am

There were a good number of instruments that came out of Alembic that weren't Alembics, Wolf being one of them. This guitar looks like Bruce Becvar's work. Incredible inlay artist, probably the best at the time!

Now here is a guitar Doug and I did that recently showed up! One of my absolute favorite from those days. The Pendulous Guitar was one of our 4 new designs 75-76
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Old Iron Stones » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Hello, new to the forum. Doug Irwin is still alive and kicking. Recently set up shop in Mendocino County. Not sure if shop is producing anything. Sorry about late response, I just came across this thread while looking for info on Mario Martello guitars. Have a chance to get one cheap.
Old Iron Stones
welcome
welcome

Postby Lumpy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:37 am

Hello;
I too am new to this site!!
I own a Irwin Bass he made spacifically for me. This all came about one day when I was in Leo's Music store while gigging in the Bay Area. I happened to see a couple guitars for sale Doug Irwin had created. I asked about any basses he might of made and someone gave me the directions to his shop in Santa Rosa.
I took it on myself to take the drive up there and found Doug working on several instruments. I kinda remember that, was when he had one of Garcia's guitars he had done some incredible inlay work on. He also had a couple guitars for a band named "27 dollar snap on face" which were shaped like dollar signs!
Anyway, he showed me what he had to assemble, which made up of two body halfs and a throught the body neck. I said it looked great, paid him, and then the waiting began! Just about a year from that date (I don't remember) a box arrived and the bass was inside!
I still own this bass, even though it wasn't as fancy as some of the other instruments he made I have really enjoyed every note I have played on it!!!
Trying to load photos but they seem to be too big.
Lumpy
welcome
welcome

Postby lightningbolt » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:15 pm

That is a great story and many on this board would love to see pictures of another bonafide Irwin. We have seen some pictures of a Dollar Sign guitar on this site in years past.

You can not load pictures on this site. Load them on a site like Photobucket and post the link here.

Looking forward to seeing your bass.
lightningbolt
Pigpen
Pigpen

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion