The Wolf

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: The Wolf

Postby mgbills » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:56 pm

I have this Lottery fantasy (which is itself weird because I seldom play) in which I hit the big one, and buy Tiger & Wolf.

In this fantasy I document every conceivable measurement, research every component, and measure every voltage. Then I ship them to Waldo for duplication. But every time I get this far, I can never decide whether I plug it in.

When I win that Lottery I'll keep you all posted on how the story turns out.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby tcsned » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Searing75 wrote:Personally, I firmly believe that no other human being should play Jerry's guitars. Put them in a museum. No one is worthy of such an honor.

I see where you are coming from but should all Stradivarius violins be in museums and not making beautiful music? That would be a shame. They are both someone else's private property. One owned by an a-hole football team owner who keeps it for himself the other by someone who let's a few lucky musicians give it some use. It can be kept safe and is not getting dragged out to bars or riding in the trunk of a car. Musical instruments are meant to be played not dying in a glass case. If or when they become unplayable then stick them in a museum.
tcsned

Postby paulinnc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:23 am

I know one thing that makes my Wolf special is that I actually put in some of the work building it with my own two hands and tracked down each and every part.
paulinnc

Postby zambiland » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Searing75 wrote:Personally, I firmly believe that no other human being should play Jerry's guitars. Put them in a museum. No one is worthy of such an honor.

I don't think Jerry would have agreed. Instruments are built to be played.It wasn't the guitars that made the music great. We are all worthy of playing them, especially you. They are just tools.
zambiland

Postby gr8fullfred » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:12 am

I completely disagree with this statement. Fact is, Jerry loved music. And Jerry loved the deadheads. If you extrapolate these thoughts, it makes sense that Jerry would like the deadheads to enjoy good music played on his iconic guitars, by QUALIFIED players.
Not just anybody mind you, qualified players. Those players that get the vibe and have the musical skills to carry on, those who can take the baton and carry it forward. The music was not supposed to end with Jerry's death. Clearly Jerry would want the music to continue, to advance, to be enjoyed by a new generation (which is clearly happening). I think that it would be cool if Wolf or Tiger did a residency at Terrapin Crossroads for example. Qualified players could unleash the Wolf at the Xroads. How could that be a bad thing?

A guitar is just a guitar, unless someone is playing it.

And there are IMHO those who are worthy...................

gr8fullfred

Postby zambiland » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:15 am

And who gets to decide who's qualified? My feeling is that if you are a guitarist who takes music seriously and respects the instruments (i.e., no physical abuse), then you are qualified. Which should pretty much include everyone here.
zambiland

Postby paulinnc » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:39 pm

Dropped off another payment today and I am now almost halfway paid up in this bad boy. Played around with it for a little while through a 4x10 Tweed Bassman type amp. All I can say that the tone I was getting was pretty awesome for being barely able to play the guitar. There will be a long learning curve with this one, figuring out the switches, knobs and where I want the blaster set. Overall though this thing is a beast and I couldn't be happier with it.
paulinnc

Postby Jon S. » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:16 am

Next time, Searing, remember to include [sarcasm] and [/sarcasm] with your post (unless, of course, your goal is precisely to stir the pot mischievously, in which, case, well played, Sir!). :lol:
Last edited by Jon S. on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
/ `--'(
< [] []////////|::: )
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:17 am

paulinnc wrote:Dropped off another payment today and I am now almost halfway paid up in this bad boy. Played around with it for a little while through a 4x10 Tweed Bassman type amp. All I can say that the tone I was getting was pretty awesome for being barely able to play the guitar. There will be a long learning curve with this one, figuring out the switches, knobs and where I want the blaster set. Overall though this thing is a beast and I couldn't be happier with it.

Paul, am I right that we met, several years back, at a NC event through TGP? In any event, beautiful axe, enjoy. :cool:
/ `--'(
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby paulinnc » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:11 pm

Yes, Jon we did meet at that place in Cary. I didn't bring any of my stuff because I was kind of intimidated not being that great of a player.
paulinnc

Postby Jon S. » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:36 am

Whatever in life we do and wherever we go, they'll be some who are better at it and others worse.

Pick up your new Wolf and let your inspiration flow in token lines suggesting rhythm that will not forsake you 'til your tale is told and done . :smile:
/ `--'(
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby Searing75 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:34 am

Jon S. wrote:Whatever in life we do and wherever we go, they'll be some who are better at it and others worse.

Pick up your new Wolf and let your inspiration flow in token lines suggesting rhythm that will not forsake you 'til your tale is told and done . :smile:

I always thought it was token "rhymes"? :oops:

Maybe it's Tolkien rhymes?
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby Jon S. » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:43 am

Searing75 wrote:
Jon S. wrote:Whatever in life we do and wherever we go, they'll be some who are better at it and others worse.

I always thought it was token "rhymes"? :oops:

Maybe it's Tolkien rhymes?

I just cut and pasted from The Annotated Grateful Dead: http://artsites.ucsc.edu/GDead/agdl/terr.html
/ `--'(
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby paulinnc » Fri May 08, 2015 9:10 am

I'm glad I don't have one of Jerry's guitars.
paulinnc

Postby Searing75 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:16 pm

paulinnc wrote:

I'm glad I don't have one of Jerry's guitars.

:lol:
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion