The Wolf

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: The Wolf

Postby Thomas Lieber » Fri May 29, 2015 7:42 am

You all are going to hate the shit out of this but as one of the original designers and the luthier who had his hands in the build of Tiger, after all the family infighting about the guitars and as one who never thought they should go up for sale, here are my thoughts on the subject!

Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby paulinnc » Fri May 29, 2015 8:31 am

Thomas Lieber wrote:You all are going to hate the shit out of this but as one of the original designers and the luthier who had his hands in the build of Tiger, after all the family infighting about the guitars and as one who never thought they should go up for sale, here are my thoughts on the subject!

That truly would be returning the guitar to "The Maker" for sure.

On another note, I am halfway through paying off my guitar.
paulinnc

Postby augustwest1 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:11 pm

I dunno why anyone would "hate" what you have to say -- it's your "firm belief" about something you acknowledge nobody will ever know. Hard to get too exercised over something like that.

I have a firm belief about this stuff too. It also will never be confirmed and, obviously, I had nothing to do with the creation of these guitars.

But I believe Jerry would have been rather disappointed by the litigation because really, what dead person wouldn't be disappointed to see his peeps fighting over his stuff after he's gone?

I also believe that once he was done with them, he could give a shit if Irwin sold them to the highest bidder or stored them in the attic never to be seen again. That's why he gave them to Irwin unconditionally.

I also believe that as someone who never seemed to take himself too seriously, he'd regard the notion that his guitars should be returned to God, or the "maker," or the cosmic whatever -- just because he played the freaking things -- would be a little too grandiose (not to mention a total waste of a couple instruments he was very fond of).
augustwest1
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Naataanii » Sun May 31, 2015 5:43 pm

I'll post this link in another thread, but figured I'd start here. It's a fb page I dedicated to "tiger"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Free-Tig ... 703?__nodl

Spencer
Hey, hey, come right away. Come and join the party everyday!
Naataanii
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:19 am

It is simply called, and has always been called Tiger not "The Tiger".

That is not Jerry Garcia's guitar in that picture displayed in the article.

And Mr Lieber never helped in any design or construction of Wolf.

Lastly, Jerry left the guitars made by Doug Irwin(actually Erwin in the will) to Doug Irwin. That is not an oversight by Jerry, Mr Liebers name is not mentioned in Jerry's will nor is the Irwin Guitar company.

~waldo041
waldo041

Postby paulinnc » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:59 am

The Wolf that I set out to build so many years ago and that was sitting in a music shop while I paid it off has finally come home!!!! Wow is all I can say. This thing feels amazing, much heavier than I remember so I will need a good strap. One thing I have noticed is that these Dimarzio pick ups are LOUD!!!! I can easily see why Jerry got such loud, clear, clean sounding notes. I couldn't be happier with how this project turned out and I am thinking about building a really nice strat for my next one.
paulinnc

Postby paulinnc » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:16 pm

The flamed maple of this wolf is insane!!! It looks three dimensional. I know the original is quilted but mine is more of a tribute than an exact replica. I really like how the neck and body grain almost line up exactly, when it gets shone in the light it is quite stunning. I'll try and get some better pics.

paulinnc

Postby broesau » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:45 am

Details?
broesau
Mickey
Mickey

Postby paulinnc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:42 pm

broesau wrote:Details?

Such as? It is a pretty standard set up. Dimarzio's, Jerry electronics and effects loop, harmonica bridge, brass tailpiece and pick up ring, I went with sperzel locking tuners. I had a wolf decal applied and the finish was put on over it so it has a nice finished look. One thing that I was lucky to find were some lafayette aluminum knobs, I scoured Ebay for them. Image
paulinnc

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion