AB763 Question

Chat about Equipment Info

AB763 Question

Postby Helponway » Sun May 22, 2016 11:31 am

Can anyone please shed some light on who makes a good Jerry type AB763 clone for a 1000 or less? Preferably a head so I can use my 2x12 hard truckers cab. ( I've read that story about bear & jerrys tubes, that's why I'm not really looking for a combo) I'd like to build my own, however I'm not sure I have the skill. So I would greatly appreciate any leads the Community can pass along. Thanks to all in advance. Love & light
Helponway
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: AB763 Question

Postby waldo041 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:07 pm

I don't want to confuse you but the only needed portion of the AB763 circuit is in it's output section of the circuit. 

Hope that helps,

~waldo
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
waldo041

Postby Helponway » Sun May 22, 2016 1:28 pm

Waldo, if you have the time; can you explain what you mean a little bit? Also I know you can build/modify amps. Is it difficult to pick up on? Thank you for the reply. Love & light
Helponway
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Searing75 » Sun May 22, 2016 1:53 pm

I think what Waldo is saying is that a Jerry clone of the circuit will not be a true AB763, but a play on one. The tone stack is altered and so forth, but the back end of the circuit is the same.

Sarno Music Solutions made my, and many others, preamp around here. The Classic Tube Preamp with the Jerry Garcia mods. Check it out!
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby waldo041 » Sun May 22, 2016 4:08 pm

Usually when a Blackface mod is done to a Fender Twin Reverb the only real differences are in the Power Transformer and output section. The preamp sections are relatively the same with the exception of master volume and push/pull master volumes. So if you are going to just use the preamp section, you can pretty much use any of them to start off with. This does not include material choices used within the different eras, just the circuits. What Blackface lovers love about the AB763, again not from the superior parts materials used over other twins, is it's output section when used as the traditional combo amp. This is where and what the Blackface mods usually entail. Not including the needed swap to the slightly higher output voltage of the Blackface era Power Transformer.

Fender Twin Reverb AB763 Output Section Highlighted.

For those of us that use the Fender Twin Reverb's preamp section, we dissect out only that portion of the circuit. This is what Brad Sarno and Dan Lurie have done with their preamps, so neither of their preamps are actually "AB763" because it is essentially the identical preamp used in the Fender Twin Reverb AA270 or AC568 or AA769 circuits.

hope that helps,

~waldo
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
waldo041

Postby Trecia » Mon May 23, 2016 9:18 pm

I have an "earth sound" head that is a twin circuit. They also exist as 4channel PA AMPs, but same basic circuit.
From what I remember mostly built in the 70s, they had some connection with the Bay Area, possibly also with peavey? Not much info online. Maybe someone around here knows. But I was out the door for $500 with some "early version" JG mods. Pretty straight up twin clone with a line out standard (but non-functioning on mine). I think they can be had much cheaper since they are well under the radar and long out of business. Good luck!
Well named amp for playing "eyes of the world" and "ashes" ; )
Trecia
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Helponway » Tue May 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Thank you all for your help! I checked out the sms pre amp & also the FYD pre amp. I know a lot of you guys here use a Mac power amp or a dmc200L. Can someone explain how I'd go about using those with a 2x12 cab? Do I need to worry about the speaker wattage in comparison to the power amp I choose, or do I just plug the pre amp into the power amp then the cab? I appreciate the help as I'm quite new to gear/mods & my understanding of these things is limited. I've always pluged my G&l into my champ & tried to get close as possible to what I hear on my tapes/archive. I'm wanting to start playing out live & realize I've got to upgrade to a decent rig.
Helponway
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Helponway wrote:Thank you all for your help! I checked out the sms pre amp & also the FYD pre amp. I know a lot of you guys here use a Mac power amp or a dmc200L. Can someone explain how I'd go about using those with a 2x12 cab? Do I need to worry about the speaker wattage in comparison to the power amp I choose, or do I just plug the pre amp into the power amp then the cab? I appreciate the help as I'm quite new to gear/mods & my understanding of these things is limited. I've always pluged my G&l into my champ & tried to get close as possible to what I hear on my tapes/archive. I'm wanting to start playing out live & realize I've got to upgrade to a decent rig.

This should help: viewtopic.php?f=419&t=17784&p=151487&hilit=sms+carvin#p151428
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion