Louis Electric Amplifiers

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Louis Electric Amplifiers

Postby schmidtz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:18 am

If one were able to get ahold of some gut shots, and possibly spend some time with a dmm, they would be able to get the definitive scoop on Jerry's amp setup, according the Steve parish, (minus that wacky power section).

Mr. Jkstraw, want to crack it open? :-)
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby jkstraw » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:24 am

Well while I tend to favour the free exchange of info - I have to respect the wishes of the builders. Louis in fact had all the guts published in a series of photos on his website for a couple of years (somewhere around 2011 - 2012) but I guess he decided to take them down to keep his design and methods more proprietary (I am just guessing here though).

I will say - give him a shout and see if he would be willing to share. My wife gave me the spec sheet for my b-day and an email from Glenn at hard truckers saying "tell your husband to give me a call to discuss". Over the next 3-4 months I received a number of unexpected calls from both Glenn and Louis to chat about the project. It was really a great experience! Louis is a super nice guy who just loves what he does - while he may not share pics (and maybe he would) he would be most definately answer all your questions about the amp.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Dozin » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:52 am

What is Steve Parish's contribution to this amp?
"Without love in the dream
it will never come true"
Dozin

Postby HeadSpace » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:05 am

The inflated price, primarily, would be my guess.
HeadSpace
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby garciafan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 am

I have the feeling the OP is the manufacturer of these amps. Not that there is anything wrong with that...:-) They look cool.
garciafan
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby tcsned » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:38 pm

They do seem like really nicely built amps. Yeah, they're pricey but not out of the ballpark for boutique amps. If I had the $$ I would get one.
tcsned

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:15 pm

They seem like great amps. Especially the combos. And they get rave reviews too. I understand the "boutique" price point of those. I wouldn't mind having one in my collection too. The owner seems like a nice guy too. jkstraw had a great experience and that says a lot.
I wish Louis good luck and hope he continues to do well. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to own one of his cool combos someday!

BUT, the Captain Trips amp is just a head claiming "first authentic reproduction of the sound and style of Jerry Garcia" for $3500?
Ok, granted it has both channels, reverb and the power section with a switchable preamp out. Plus an over priced cab. I'm sure it's a fine amp!
I just can't see those things being worth around $2700 more than a SMS, FYD or having a twin modded. But that's just MHO. I guess "all is fair in love and war"....and business.
The problem is the authenticity thing. There are no specifics or any kind of documented authenticity. Just "in collaboration with Steve Parish". Who knows what that means.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Dozin » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Parish was not a tech
"Without love in the dream
it will never come true"
Dozin

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:35 pm

He changed out the speakers. :lol:
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby barefootdave » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Yup, if you don't think it's worth the price, you probably shouldn't buy it. First hand experience is enlightening, beyond that the opinions espoused don't have much value to those considering a potential purchase.

Steve Parish had a few thousand hours of listening to the real thing, but perhaps less technical knowledge than those who have posted their thoughts about the value of this offering?

I look forward to hearing more from those who have actually tried these amps rather than those who have not and have opinions that are based on something other than actual experience.

It does , however, seem a bit suspicious that a guy who would purchase a Louis amp and post about it would not post a follow up comment? Could have been nothing more than a thinly disguised sales pitch...?
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Billy
Billy

Postby HeadSpace » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Well, that's very mature of you and all, and it sure sounds reasonable and fair-minded, but given what's available already, do you honestly believe there's any way this thing could sound $1000-bucks-worth more authentic? IMHO, people have pretty much cracked the code already, and nuts-on Jerry tone is readily available for way less dough. Perhaps you disagree. But while Parish (whatever his input here) has sure heard Jerry's rig as much or more than anyone, I'd venture to say there are few folks on this board who have not themselves spent thousands of hours listening to Jerry's various tones. If you like the cabinet or the wolf sticker or something, great, spend the cash.
HeadSpace
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby barefootdave » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Since I haven't heard it myself, no I don't know that it's worth that. Certainly the sticker makes it worth at lease an extra $600, and the cabinet adds another $299, but probably not $1,000 altogether.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the amp, though, that was really helpful. You are apparently quite certain that it is not worth paying for... Therefore, I shouldn't consider it. You would no doubt think my Moriarty wasn't worth it either. I think it was...

:shock:
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Billy
Billy

Postby HeadSpace » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Whatever's worth it to you is worth it to you, and far be it from me to begrudge you whatever you're into. But have you watched the video on the page linked by the OP? That might be a start if you're interested in hearing what it sounds like.

Sounds good to me, but I'm not hearing that extra grand, which is why I fall back on cosmetic considerations as the reason one might prefer this amp over the alternatives. See what you think.
HeadSpace
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Jon S. » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Just visited the web site. It says there up front, "Based on the blackface twin reverb." And the tubes are KT90s. Seems straightforward to me. As for the "Classic Jerry Garcia sound" claim, why take that kinda shit so seriously? It's just http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffery .
/ `--'(
< [] []////////|::: )
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:54 am

Jon S. wrote: "Based on the blackface twin reverb."

Cool- just like my Mesa Lonestar!
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion