Louis Electric Amplifiers

Chat about Equipment Info

Louis Electric Amplifiers

Postby NJBlues » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 pm

Hey... Just wanted to share a rig that I recently came by. Check out the page and amazing photos and great video on the amp...
http://www.louiselectricamps.com/guitar ... ADNOLAg82U
NJBlues
welcome
welcome

Re: Louis Electric Amplifiers

Postby zambiland » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Looks great! One thing that I'm curious about is why the control panel is angled if it's meant to be used standing up like that. Wouldn't it be easier to have it be flat with the face of the front (and a inset a bit to protect the knobs)?
zambiland

Postby Searing75 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:17 pm

No phase inverter?
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby waldo041 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:28 pm

Probably a pretty cool amp, but for a comparison.....

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby garciafan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:41 pm

I just rolled a mint 1965 black panel original Twin reverb w/JBL's for far less than half the price of that amp. Couldn't carry the Twin or Marshalls anymore so I use my '60s black panel Deluxe and Vibrolux reverbs. They're fine amps and still much less expensive than the Louis.
garciafan
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:22 am

Quoted from the site: "Steve Parish (road manager of the Grateful Dead) of Hard Truckers and Louis Rosano from Louis Electric Amplifiers came together to create first authentic reproduction of the sound and style of Jerry Garcia".

I'm sure it's a good amp.
Seems way overpriced to me and quite the claim that it is the first authentic reproduction. How can it be the first, when others have claimed the same thing prior to this? Also, why would that cost so much (almost $2200) more than a SMS or a FYD that are awesome builds. Only difference (that we know of) is this has the tube power section and an over priced hard truckers cab. Hardly substantiates such an exorbitant over the top price IMHO.

Also, I don't totally understand why these guys haven't/don't share the info/mods. Including and especially Steve Parish. No, they would rather collaborate, keep secrets and use the info for personal monetary gain. I didn't expect that. I don't dig it. Not good vibes. What's up with that, Steve Parish?? Eh??

Several years ago when I first joined this forum, I was very impressed when I first saw Waldo's site. So much cool info being shared for free!
I felt like I was with "my kind of people" , and for the most part I was correct. Most all the info is shared by all.

We all remember Mike having to take down the preamp mods due to some convoluted politics or something to that effect. His info not being verified etc. Mike was very humble and to the point about it.

This whole thing about secrecy and who has the correct mods and who builds the authentic preamp is becoming convoluted as well as a very lucrative business targeted at us Jerry players. How do we know who's doing it the way Jerry had it?
We don't really know (except for our ears) because no one who has the info is sharing or verifying anything until now. Seems odd to me.

The only person who is pulling for us Jerry players, in this respect, seems to be Waldo. He has been open, honest and true to the values of sharing that is one of the things the Grateful Dead stood for and not trying to make a lot of money off us. Thanks, Mike!

Rant over.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby cripeowner » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:47 am

I think you could include Brad Sarno and Tracy at SSP as those who gladly share their knowledge .
cripeowner
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby FrettyBoy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:18 am

There is an entire market out there, of which I am NOT a member, that will happily buy this amp. The "People With Serious Money Club".

I could never afford/justify an Alembic guitar, a Hard Truckers cabinet, or this Louis amp, either by themselves or as a package, BUT there are plenty that can. That's my problem, not the companies that offer the gear. I really see no problem with offering the the merchandise at whatever price point they desire. If they can get it, so be it! They are not targeting me with this stuff, they are selling to those that can readily afford it, and again, there are plenty of those folks out there.

I've got to find alternative methods to getting the sound and gear that I desire due to my place in the economic Strat-a (see what I did there! lol).

All the best to the companies that create fine gear and also to those that can readily afford it. There is no harm in offering a product for a given price. We can choose to buy it, or not.
FrettyBoy
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:24 am

There is a pretty limited market out there for people into reproducing Jerry's tone. There's an even smaller subset of that group with serious money.

Thanks Waldo, Brad, etc.
Last edited by TI4-1009 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby aiq » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:59 am

I'm with garcia fan.

I do enjoy reading about the gear quests but I'm pretty happy with Deluxe or Vibrolux.

If the Powerball came in however...
aiq

Postby garciafan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:20 am

I'm sure its a great amplifier.
garciafan
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:35 am

cripeowner wrote:I think you could include Brad Sarno and Tracy at SSP as those who gladly share their knowledge .

+1 Yes, absolutely. I couldn't agree more. :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby FrettyBoy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:51 am

TI4-1009 wrote:There is a pretty limited market out there for people wanting to reproducing Jerry's tone. There's an even smaller subset of that of people with serious money.

Thanks Waldo, Brad, etc.

A limited market in proportion to the total market, yes. But I think we'd all be surprised as to the total number of the "endowed", if you will, within that market. Let's face it, after 1987 the potential "market' exploded! It got too big for my tastes. As you know there have always been many professional people among the Dead Heads and many of those youngsters that got on board in 87, and after, are now professionals themselves making good money. There are many pros using this gear on stage (Alembic and Hard Truckers at the least) and I'm sure there are MANY more average players jamming away to Jerry records in their basement or living room with this stuff because they want to and can. No crime.

The cool thing is there is "deadcentric" gear now at MANY price points, so we can ALL be happy!

All the best,
Fred
FrettyBoy
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby jkstraw » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:50 pm

This is just a relaunch/new page right? I think it was originally announced just before the gear expo (2011)

Anyway I consider myself a lucky owner of one these - I got it as a 40th bday gift from my wife just over a year ago. While expensive; saving for a while makes things more manageable.

Oddly the specs on the new page include a speaker option?? I am wondering if these are just suggestions and if so why (maybe current availability)

Most importantly though (IMO) is that it is damn fun to play!! Geeez can it get crazy loud while staying crisp at the high end and silky smooth warm on the low end!! So fun to set it up on the porch and scream! Clearly I don't do the craftsmanship, price, or power justice.....but personally I enjoy being able to play it :cool:

As to the tone - it's really too subjective to say. I have an SMS and a dialed in patch on my AxeFx and while none are identical (to Jerry's tone or to each other), they all get me in the right headspace.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby jester536 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:13 am

I just remember Lou from the Gear Expo and he was a great guy, loved the Dead, and knew all about sound.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion