What's your go-to vocal mic?

Chat about Equipment Info

What's your go-to vocal mic?

Postby Jon S. » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Pardon if covered previously (if so, I missed it then and with my search now).

My first vocal mic was an ancient EV 267N/D, I've used EV 767N/Ds exclusively for over a decade, and recently copped my first 967N/D. Just this afternoon, over 3 hours, A-B'd the 767 and 967 extensively as part of coming up to speed on a new sound system I'll be gigging with for the first time tomorrow night. Here are my reactions. Both are excellent mics. The 767 is a bit middier/throatier, the 967 flatter relatively speaking. The 767 is at least as powerful as the 967, perhaps even more so, but the 967 is the clear winner for rejecting feedback and for how much gain you can get out of it before feedback. I'm keeping my cadre of trusty 767s for the rest of the band but from now on it will be the 967 for me.
/ `--'(
< [] []////////|::: )
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Re: What's your go-to vocal mic?

Postby tcsned » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:39 am

AT4055 - large diaphragm condensers. Razor flat response, too bad they don't make them any more. I hear the replacement isn't as good.
tcsned

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:47 am

Curious, do you also carry a dynamic mic with you "just in case" if, for some reason at a particular venue, the condensor "acts up?"
/ `--'(
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:50 am

I have both these and like them both.
First choice - Senn e935
Second choice - Heil PR 35
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby tcsned » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:04 am

Jon S. wrote:Curious, do you also carry a dynamic mic with you "just in case" if, for some reason at a particular venue, the condensor "acts up?"

No, we usually do our own sound and haven't ever had phantom power issues. I do have a few SM58s in my mic crate but have never had to resort to them. We also have some Beta 87s, also condensers, that were our main vocal mics before the ATs.
tcsned

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:56 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:I have both these and like them both.
First choice - Senn e935
Second choice - Heil PR 35

Someone on the AFG just posted this of potential interest regarding the Heil. Re: the Senn 395, that one gets a lot of love across the forums. I do need to try one at some point.
let me note for whoever's interested that I used the 767a I mentioned in the thread for a while, then discovered the Heil PR35. That mic is even better for my voice and allows me to do even more subtle things than the 767a, but after using it for a few years in both full band and solo/duo/trio acoustic settings, I've started using it only for the small acoustic and solo settings and I've gone back to the 767a for the band.

I love singing into the PR35, but to allow it to do what it does it requires a gain-setting that lets me sing from a few inches back, and in the band that means it picks up lots of stage sound, making the mix muddy and keeping my vocals from cutting through the way I'd like. It's also so sensitive to popping that I've just gotten tired of being so careful! I've found EQ setting that help with that and with the cutting through, but at a certain point I'm finding that I might as well be using another mic. I tried my old 767a at some recent rehearsals and a gig and realized that it's just a better mic for me in the band setting. I'll be using it again tonight in a particularly noisy, acoustically problematic room. Less to think about, more cut. I'll miss the Heil during some of the quieter passages, but otherwise it's so much easier to get up near the grill and just sing.

Still love the Heil for the small acoustic stuff though. There's no other mic I've tried that I'd rather sing into in that setting!
Last edited by Jon S. on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
/ `--'(
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:25 am

Definitely try the Senn e935 live with the band. There is a reason for the love of it!

The Heil PR 35 is excellent unless you have a deep voice. It has more bottom end especially with the three position eq all the way up. But you can stand farther away from it.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby zambiland » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:49 pm

We've been using Telefunken M80s. They work quite well and the leakage which does come through is much easier to deal with than SM58 and other standard vocal mic leakage. They are also very reasonably priced.
zambiland

Postby jkstraw » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:58 pm

e945 has served me well. If you tend to move around a lot the e935 would be a better choice though. If you tend to me stationary than the e945 offer a tighter pattern.

Would also love to try a m80 but so far the e945 has been killing it.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:04 pm

zambiland wrote:We've been using Telefunken M80s. They work quite well and the leakage which does come through is much easier to deal with than SM58 and other standard vocal mic leakage. They are also very reasonably priced.

thanks for the tip Edwin!

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby Searing75 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Been using a Shure beta 87A for many years. Love it, but have felt that something is missing? Comparing it to my beta 58, it sounds thinner, but more detailed. I am flat broke, but will eventually try out others.

Chris
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby Jon S. » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:03 am

I must say, I was totally pleased last night with the EV 967. It's a keeper.
/ `--'(
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby ccw3432 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:50 pm

I have a couple of Sennheiser MD421 mics that I really like for vocals and as a bonus they have that vintage Dead look. I don't typically have the luxury to use them for vocals though since I usually put them on the kick drum and guitar cab. They are much nicer than my standby SM58s. For the money though I think there are much less expensive alternatives that are just as good or better for vocals. I've been looking at the M80s and E935s as a possible upgrade. I'll have to add this EV to the list as well (even with the funny flat top on it). :-)
ccw3432
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby ccw3432 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:56 pm

Additionally, I forgot to mention above that the bass player in my band uses a EV 767 and loves it. We did some A/B testing with it next the Sennheiser 421. Three different vocalists trying both mics and we all agreed that they were very similar in sound (for vocals). It was hard to tell them apart on the A/B test.
ccw3432
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:42 am

jkstraw wrote:e945 has served me well. If you tend to move around a lot the e935 would be a better choice though. If you tend to me stationary than the e945 offer a tighter pattern.

These are the 2 I carry as well. But for a more important reason to me: MONITOR PLACEMENT & VOLUME BEFORE FEEDBACK!!!

The null of a cardioid is directly behind it: so put your monitors directly behind.
The null of super/hyper is to the sides: so put your monitors to the sides of it.

Look at the technical specs. They all show this. This is really important for folks bringing their own mics: you must know what it is, where the null is, where monitors can go. Be professional! Know the type of mic it is, sing on the mic (not around it), know where the null is, work with the soundman and system, and you'll get the best EQ and louder volume!
strumminsix

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion