Guitar effects used in Rockpalast 81

Guitar effects used in Rockpalast 81

Postby vedicblues » Sun May 01, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm head over heels in love with the solo Jerry plays in Shakedown street at Rockpalast 81. In particular it's the second solo which I've listened to about a 100 times now. I'm a new deadhead, really just getting into it bit by bit.

Could anyone tell me what kind of effects/pedals I could use to get a similar sound? I know I can't come close to that sound that easily, but I just want to get near it :)

Here's the video that I'm talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcN80HEWOEM

The solo starts at : 41:45

Thank you!
vedicblues
welcome
welcome

Re: Guitar effects used in Rockpalast 81

Postby hieronymous7 » Sun May 01, 2016 6:54 pm

I can't give you a detailed answer, but I want to thank you for turning me on to that recording! I had no idea. Love the Irwin bass that Phil is playing with the double P pickups!

To my ears it sounds like a touch of envelope filter - my feeling is that usually he used a wetter sound, this one is pretty subtle compared to others I've heard - I like it! Gonna go listen to more... :arrow:
hieronymous7
tiger
tiger

Postby DaveAlembic » Sun May 01, 2016 7:21 pm

Mutron EF and don't forget that beautiful reverb!
DaveAlembic
Donna
Donna

Postby tatittle » Mon May 02, 2016 2:16 am

Yeah fun show, this is probably my favorite era overall, early Brent...certainly for rockin out jams.

The main effect would be his signature Mutron III by Musitronics. One of the differences between it and other envelope filters I notce is it is subtler and more transparent, allowing more of the guitar's tone through. It could be set to BP instead of LP or maybe even high filter cuz it sounds a bit different than usual as mentioned. Run in an on board effects loop. Lotta reverb splat as mentioned, which is from the Fender Twin amp I think.
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby playingdead » Mon May 02, 2016 5:40 am

What's interesting to me about this is Garcia fiddling with his tone control during the jam. That would not be something it would have occurred to me to do using a Mutron without the effects loop, because sending a duller signal to the envelope filter would likely make it less responsive, but with the OBEL, that's a whole different ballgame.
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:01 am

playingdead wrote:What's interesting to me about this is Garcia fiddling with his tone control during the jam.

I find he does it more than most know. He also can be seen throwing them into series humbucker, as well as changing the pickup selector. Something to add a different color than just staying in the middle single coil tone.

Here is another clue as to just how he may have had those Dual Sounds wired.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
waldo041

Postby tatittle » Mon May 02, 2016 4:27 pm

I have never become enamored with the ceramic Super 2's. And the more I listen to older vs. newer Garcia the more I realize I dont like them as much even in his hands. The above are Alnico...and I find them much sweeter. EDIT: at least I heard they were looks like that may not be true.

Now hang on!!! It says the Dual Sound split is still humbucking??? Is this true of the modern day counterpart as well (SuperDistortion if I recall right)? This is the first Ive heard this. Im confused...I just looked at modern versions and they say ceramic as well...the originals were alnico right?

Im thinking about switching out my Super 2 OBEL equipped guitar for these when I add a TPC-1. I have a horrid bright yellow SD Ill give a go I guess.

Sounds like I just got the wrong info re: Dual Sounds...heres confirmation from DiMarzio:

The Dual Sound pickup has always used a ceramic magnet throughout its history; it has never been built with Alnico magnets.

Thanks,

DiMarzio Inc. Sales

sales@dimarzio.com
Last edited by tatittle on Wed May 04, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby flyingheelhook » Tue May 03, 2016 10:21 am

Is it me or is there maybe a touch of phase shifter going on?
flyingheelhook
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tatittle » Tue May 03, 2016 6:18 pm

I was thinking that too after playing thru my script Phase 45 after listening to the clip. But I would guess the Phase 100 would be more pronounced...
tatittle

Postby vedicblues » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:38 am

Thank you everyone for the mind-blowing knowledge! Already learnt a great deal now! I need to get that Mutron! Yes!!! :smile:

It is quite a pricey pedal though.... But looks like it's well worth it.
vedicblues
welcome
welcome

Return to Shakedown Street