Chord progression?! Please help..

Chord progression?! Please help..

Postby Helponway » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:55 pm

Can anyone please help me understand the chord progression for half step? I understand it's in Am & mixes all three minor scales. However I can't figure out the progression.. I.e. I IV V for example. It being in a minor key has me lost as to how to analyze it. Thank you all in advance! Love & light
Helponway
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: Chord progression?! Please help..

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:53 pm

This is laid out really nicely: http://rukind.com/gdpedia/titles/show/296

What are you struggling with. Maybe I can help.
strumminsix

Postby Helponway » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:53 pm

Strumminsix, what I'm trying to do is analyize the progression & see the movement of the chords. I know it's in a minor key (am).

So the intro is am caug am7 d9 d7 g7. So would that be i - III+ - IV7 - IV7 - VII7 ?

I don't know how to label them unless it's coming from a diatonic major scale & with it being in am & mixing all three minor scales I'm lost. I hope I clarified that, I'm having a bit of trouble articulating what I'm asking
Helponway
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby tcsned » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:03 am

IMHO I would label them in the Key of C major since the root is C and the first chord of the verse is C (though there are a lot of enharmonic tones and whatnot).

Intro:
vi / vi(M7) / II(9) / II(7) / V(7) / / /

Verse
I / / / III(7) / / / IV / / / vi / / /
IV / / / I / V / II(7) / / / V / / /

. . . and so on
tcsned

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:37 am

I got nothing I can offer. This is a song that I wouldn't use notation on. Too many chromatic small movements between chords.
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:05 pm

strumminsix wrote:I got nothing I can offer. This is a song that I wouldn't use notation on. Too many chromatic small movements between chords.

I agree, there's a lot going on in this tune and hard to really capture in a chart. Though I would start from basing the "I" chord in C and not A or Am. The basic chord structure of the tune isn't that out in left field but there are subtleties, and I really have no clue what Bob's part does, you've probably got a much better handle on that strumminsix :D
tcsned

Postby Helponway » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks everyone! Just labeling it as if it were C Major made things really simple. I agree it is a lot to chart & best left learned aurally. The reason I'm writing it out as such is so I can study how weir & Garcia approach comman chord progressions both melodically & harmonically. The intro into the verse when labeled as C major is a 6-2-5-1. A very comman jazz move, looking at things this way allows me to quickly internalize some language to use.
Helponway
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:18 am

tcsned wrote:
strumminsix wrote:I got nothing I can offer. This is a song that I wouldn't use notation on. Too many chromatic small movements between chords.

I agree, there's a lot going on in this tune and hard to really capture in a chart. Though I would start from basing the "I" chord in C and not A or Am. The basic chord structure of the tune isn't that out in left field but there are subtleties, and I really have no clue what Bob's part does, you've probably got a much better handle on that strumminsix :D

Thanks :) The Bob part I learned from (don't recall the show or era, long time back) had Bobby playing a lot of counter rhythm or counter point to Phil. Then knowing where to let chime and ring.
strumminsix

Postby lyghtningod » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Here's the progression I play:
Am AmM7 Am7 D/F# F Dm B7 E

The first four chords are remarkably similar to the opening part of Stairway to Heaven. Nearly the same progression is used in Jerry's version of Russian Lullaby, but in a different key. And Chim Chim Cheree, as Led Zep mentioned.

I love playing over this progression.
lyghtningod
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Lephty » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:25 pm

One of my very favorite Dead songs to play too. A few quick thoughts...

1. For the purpose of analysis, it could be easiest to say that the intro, chorus, and solos are in Am, the verse is in C major, and the coda is in A major. There's probably no "right" answer here, just whatever is easiest for you to get your head around.

2. IMO, to say the Am portion mixes all 3 minor scales is too complicated of a way of looking at it...really just Am triad with the bass note descending chromatically (in half steps...get it? ). A pretty common move in jazz etc. (Stairway, The Landlady by Phish, ). I suppose, in a sense, you could say you're using A natural minor > A melodic minor > A dorian, but to me it's easier to just think A > G# > G > F# within the context of A minor.

3. A lot of the chords in the progression are acting as "secondary dominants." In short, you can precede any chord in the progression by that chord's own V chord. That's why the B7 precedes the E (even though it doesn't appear to "belong" in C/Am). And the D7 (or D9) precedes the G, and the E7 precedes the Am. That D7 actually gets referred to as "V of V" (the V being the G chord in the key of C). And the B7 would be the V of V in Am (it is the V of E7 which is the V of Am).

Secondary dominants happen left and right in GD music (Deal, Big River, etc). They show up a lot in old-timey honky-tonkin' kind of music. When these secondary dominants are present, you can get away with just kind of playing in C/Am over the whole thing, but you'll find yourself much closer to JG's sound if you approach each of the chords individually. In particular shoot for the thirds of those chords--that is the note that really sets up the following chord.
http://www.highcountryguitar.com recently re-vamped and updated.
Ideal practice tools for improvisation...backing tracks, lessons on modes, CAGED, etc.
Lephty
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Return to Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo